header

Wednesday 14 August 2013

Plane Beautiful: My In-Flight Skin Care Routine

It's that time of year again, when the week of British summer has made it's appearance, leaving as swiftly as it came. And if the sun is allowed to go on holiday, then so am I! That's right. I'm jetting off on a little adventure! Yippee!! And with a beast of a 13 hour plane journey looming, I thought I'd take the opportunity to talk you through my in-flight beauty regime. I love to pamper myself on a long journey, where I have nothing but time to kill. It may seem like a lot, but why not, I say? So here you are, my favourite products (all under 100ml, of course!) to treat myself with on that mammoth journey.

First of all, I don't like to wear a lot of make up to the airport. Beginning your journey bare faced makes it a lot easier to try everything out at duty free. Just kidding. But not really. Aside from that, I'm not a fan of how dry and dehydrated an aeroplane cabin can leave your skin feeling, and it's only magnified when you're all dolled up. You might look really glamorous, but your skin will hate you for it tomorrow! That being said, I hate being facially naked, so a light dusting of powder and a lick of mascara usually find their way onto my face.

I also wear light flowy clothing and layer it up. Not exactly skin care related, but circulation is paramount and also has an effect on your complexion. All hail the maxi skirt. Holiday appropriate attire, flowy flight piece and blanket, all in one.
Once on the plane, I make myself comfortable, much to my neighbours' annoyance, by spreading myself out as far as is socially acceptable (sometimes further, depends how rebellious I'm feeling that day) and unloading my various skincare bumph. First comes the preflight cleanse. I like to use Bioderma Sensibio H2O, as I find it quite gentle yet very effective, and it comes in the dinky 100ml bottle, perfect for travelling. I do this twice, just to make sure I've got every speck of product off. Also to kill some more time. I've used Bioderma a lot before, so I know my skin gets on with it. On flights, I'd definitely stick to what you know. An environment with amped up, dehydrating air is not the time to be testing out new products. You don't want to spend your holiday looking diseased because you couldn't wait to try out that new cleanser you got at duty free, which it turns out you're allergic to.
Moisture is key when flying, especially for the more thirsty-skinned among us, so my next step is to put on something intensely moisturising. I like to use a hydrating mask, but if you're slightly conscious of the odd stares, a thick moisturiser will do. The Origins Drink Up Intensive Mask is great because it's clear, (score!) there's no need to take it off in the 'morning', and it smells of mangoes. Yum! An overnight mask, it's perfect for long haul flights, even if you're not sleeping. I also slather on some eye cream just for good measure. I find Clinique's All About Eyes Rich to be really lovely and a moisturised eye is a less wrinkled eye, after all.
There are a few other things I like to have with me. These include a hand cream, my hands tend to feel the change in air pressure a lot more than the rest of me. I'm not sure why that is, but it's nice to have something to keep them nourished. I like the Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream because it's super concentrated, and you can get it in a tiny little travel sized tube, so you can easily slot it in with your abundance of face products. I also like to take something multi purpose, like Vaseline, so that you have one small thing to use on your lips, cuticles, and anywhere else you might want to put it. Finally, a facial mist or something similar, just to keep you feeling fresh. This year, I'll be packing my Anatomicals Spray Misty For Me Facial Spritz, which I very handily received in my July Glossybox.

All the while, I make sure that I'm keeping my skin hydrated from the inside as well as the outside, by drinking lots and lots of water. This comes with the added bonus of having to get up to pee every 10 minutes. Bit of a weird bonus, I know, but if I'm watching a movie or engrossed in a book, I often forget to get up and move about, something very important in preventing blood clots and DVT. If you're dying for the loo, however, you can't forget, et voila, added bonus.
When nearing the end of the flight, I just go through my usual skin care routine. I cleanse again, following with toner, for which I use the Michael Todd Blue Green Algae Antibacterial Toner, as I find it to be quite moisturising. Sensing a theme here? Last but not least, I put on some moisturiser. I really like to use the Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Sun Defence For Face, as it has a high SPF in it, so I leave the plane feeling fresh faced and ready to greet the holiday sun.

And there you have it. It might seem like a lot, both in terms of effort and the cumbersome addition to your hand luggage, but you aren't going to be doing much else during a long haul flight. You may as well fill your time with something beneficial, eh? Every time I travel, whoever I'm with makes fun of the ridiculous amount of products I have packed, but without fail, they will swallow their words and ask to borrow something. Yep, I'm that person. But I wouldn't travel any other way.

Are you going on any exciting holidays? Do you love any of these products? What do you like to do to keep your skin in ship shape whilst you travel? Let me know!

S.

P.S. I've been super organised and written a load of posts which I have scheduled to post themselves over the next couple of weeks. They might work. They might not. We shall see.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment