header

Friday 25 April 2014

Something Beginning With...D: Diet

This week, I thought I'd cover something completely new to the world of Squares (the blog, not me). I wanted my Something Beginning With D to be a little different than a bog standard beauty post because, let's be honest, as much as we love them, they can get a tad repetitive. With that in mind, Diet will be the topic of today's post. Please don't misunderstand me, I hate the concept of dieting - to me they're just fads that go out of style faster than the last season's lippy. Anyone remember Atkins? Yep, me neither. I do, however, wholly believe in maintaining a healthy diet, and eating all the foods you like in moderation. Over the past few years I've really started to realise that no amount of miracle skin cream is going to make you glow if you're constantly chowing down on crisps and coke. Beauty comes from within, and that's a fact that often gets underestimated. Since ditching the brownies for bananas, I can honestly tell you that it has made a noticeable difference to my skin and hair as well as my health. Still, I'm by no means a health nut - long live the binge day - but I thought I'd put together a little something, sharing with you the small changes I've implemented that have made all the difference. 

Get Some Nuts

I love a cheeky snack between meals. My grazing food of choice was once the coveted Custard Cream, or a sneaky bag of ready salted. However, since around Christmas time (not AT Christmas time I must quickly add - be serious), I've been swapping out my fatty snacks for seeds, nuts, raisins and the like. No good if you have a nut allergy of course, but I find them equally delicious, and the natural fats in them are really good for you. Hazelnuts and almonds are my fave, and I'm quite partial to a nice walnut every now and again. Admittedly, I have had a bit of a relapse recently, since starting an internship with a steady stream of Kit-Kats at my disposal, but I've definitely streamlined the snacking over the past few months. I also make an effort to incorporate healthy things into my breakfast. A sprinkling of flaxseed on my morning porridge, or a blueberry or two mixed into some greek yoghurt. There's one of your five a day before you've even started! So there you go - step one of my new healthier diet. And the occasional Snickers never hurt anyone now, did it?

An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctor Away 

I actually think it might, you know. Apples, as well as being full of nutritious fruity goodness, are known in the beauty world for their marvellous detoxing qualities. So, like a kindergarten cliche, I've taken to popping an apple in my daily lunchbox. You really can't ever have enough fruit! Which brings us onto my next point...

Juice, Juice Juice!

Like the rest of the world, I've gone a little juicing mad. I love to make my own tasty concoctions, and the fact that they are so good for you might just be the biggest bonus ever. My favourite juice, which I have when I wake up, is a blend of apple, spinach and celery. Admittedly, it does look a little bit like toxic sludge, (see picture above apples!) but it tastes amazing, as well as being super good for you. One interesting little tip I've picked up is that it's better to have more vegetable based juices, so that you're not overloading on sugar from fruit because, however natural it is, too much sugar isn't the best. There are plenty of juicing books out there to give you lots of info. The Juice Master is perhaps the most obvious one, but my favourite is Super Juice by Michael Van Straten. I love that it has this  'at home' remedy section at the back, where it lists pretty much every illness you could think of, and gives you your cure through one of his delicious juices. Genius! He's apparently the UK's best known practitioner of complementary medicine too, so he must have a vague idea of what he's talking about. 

Water, Water Everywhere (And ALL The Drops To Drink)

As well as plenty of fresh juice, I've now made it a habit of keeping a glass of water on my desk, which I sip on when I'm bored. I'm massively guilty of forgetting to keep hydrated throughout the day, but I find that keeping a big glass within reach has remedied my parched state, and my skin has definitely thanked me for it. And that constant yo-yoing to the loo and back has to count for at least some of your daily cardio, right?

So there you are. They might seem trivial, but all of the little things add up, and I really feel great after striving to look after my body a little better. Of course, I'm writing this whilst gorging on the remnants of my Easter treats. The healthy eating resumes tomorrow.

What are your favourite ways to stay healthy? Any nutritious snacks you care to recommend? Let me know!

S.

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

1 comments:

  1. Recently juice cleansing has become quite of a trend and I'd like to try it myself as I'm trying to become more healthy. I hate diets too, but like you also love custard creams. Great minds, eh? I'm now following you on Bloglovin', please check out my blog and if you like what you see follow me on GFC and Bloglovin'.
    http://louiseabenamensah.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete